Most people take for granted our daily use of type without giving a thought to its origin. But the evolution of typographic development and its use still impacts and plays an important role in these modern times.
- Mass production of type goes back millennia, with use of dies punches and seals.
- First movable type was created in china in the 11th century and was made from ceramic.
- Soon metal type was being used in Korea, but because of the amount of characters it was very labor intensive.
- In the west, Johannes Gutenberg created the first mass produced book, the Gutenberg Bible.
- Because of Gutenberg, this art is now called typographic design.
- The difficult to read black type in Gutenberg’s work gave way for a need for a more utilitarian, easy to read typeface design.
- By the 1470’s people like French artist Nicholas Jensen begun creating a highly legible typographic form, and till this day is considered on of the greatest typographic masterpieces.